Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cousins

My dad was one of eight children. Two of his brothers passed away when he was young: Saverio, as a child, and Vincent (Jimmy), in WWII. The remaining 6 siblings stayed close, all living most of their lives on Long Island: Rose, Lena, Vito (Bill), Nick, Sal, and my dad, Joe. Together they had 21 children. The sad truth is that these days I only see most of my extended family at wakes and weddings, and the former is the most common. We always promise to get together more often, but we are all so busy with our own lives that it rarely happens. I have lost two more uncles and an aunt already, and my own parents are in their eighties. It is starting to seem more important that we get our family together a bit more often. In that spirit, my sister held a "reunion" at her home for my aunts, uncles, and cousins last month.

Cousins are very special relatives, in my opinion. Cousins aren't in your face every day growing up the way a brother or sister is, therefore, you really don't have a chance to get on each other's nerves. However, because our parents are siblings, we have similar traditions. When I see my cousins, I am brought right back to my childhood, when our families would visit on Sundays. Times were different, and Sundays were sacred. Back then there wasn't any soccer, t-ball, flag football, or the myriad of things I know take up my own Sundays. There wasn't any rushing around to get the grocery shopping done either, because most stores weren't even open on Sundays. So people actually visited one another!

Our families got together and there was always a huge meal. We had small houses, so the kids didn't fit at the dining table. No one stressed about it, or put a huge addition on the house, we just had a kids' table set up somewhere else. There was always someone to play with, and boy, did we have fun! We played in the backyard, caught fireflies, toasted marshmallows on charcoal grills, and swam in above ground pools. We came inside only if the weather was bad, and played in the basement for hours. There were no electronics to distract us from interacting with one another. We loved every minute of it. It was perfect, but as is often the case in life, you really don't know what you have until it's gone.

I got very emotional when I saw one of my cousins in particular at the party. Anthony is my age, and we played together a lot while we were growing up. It seems that we visited his house the most. My dad would put my purple, hand-me-down bike with the banana seat in the trunk of his Chevelle, and off we would go to my cousins' house. There were five kids in that family, so it was always a lot of fun. They had a huge backyard where we spent many hours, making up all sorts of games. They had a big, above ground pool, and we swam for hours. My Aunt Maureen was the best cook in the world, and there was always more than enough food. I have the best memories of sitting cross-legged in front of their coffee table in the living room, eating dinner with my cousins. I swear I can still taste her roast beef and mashed potatoes right now. Sadly, my Aunt Maureen and Uncle Sal both passed away at an early age, and their passing left a huge gap in our family.

My dad and his brothers all look alike, so when my cousin Anthony and his brothers saw my dad at this party we just had, I could see them becoming emotional. They hugged and kissed my dad, and that scene nearly pushed me over the edge. It was like they were seeing part of their dad again.

Anthony looks like his dad as well, and has so many of his mannerisms that I found myself staring at him. We have a similar sense of humor, and when I see him, I feel like I'm ten again, and I act sort of goofy. We tease each other, and I remember all the games we used to play. I think I hugged him twenty times at my sister's house, as if the hugging would somehow transport us back to the time when we were young, and we didn't need to really think about much of anything, especially jobs, mortgages, and aging and deceased parents.

Seeing all my cousins again was a reality check. We are growing older, some of us have married children, and one is even a grandmother! My cousins and I are moving up a rung on that ladder of mortality. Our parents have either passed or are old. Those carefree days of being a child are way over for us, and those no-rush Sundays a thing of the past. Our families didn't have a lot, but it felt like we did. We had what was important. I kind of mourn the loss of those days, and wonder if my kids will look back on their childhood with the same sense of peace I do mine, despite this "gotta have it, gotta make it bigger, gotta get more of it" world.

Another cousin's daughter got married last weekend, so I got to see a few of my cousins again. When I said goodbye to my cousin Anthony, I felt really sad. I told him I didn't want to wait a whole year before I saw him again. He's got a great wife and two sons, and I have my own family. We will get busy again with life, and we probably won't see each other for a long while. But when I do see him, and all my other cousins, I will once again be reminded of who I was when I was small. I will recall a time when all of our parents were young and healthy, and life was not nearly as complicated as it is now. And I'll definitely hug him again.

Do you have special memories of your cousins?

7 comments:

  1. Two of my cousins are the same ages as my older brother and I. They lived in Jersey so we usually only saw them on holidays growing up, but those are some of my fondest memories. As we grew up,they became some of my closest friends. Now they both live out west and have their own families, so lots of time goes by without seeing each other, but when we do it's like picking up where we left off. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Erin, my kids only have 4 cousins! Having had so many, my experience is totally different than what theirs is. Back then, families had so many more kids than they do today. Thanks for commenting on here, as so many of my friends are emailing me and commenting on facebook! I look like a loser without comments here!!! LOL. How is that room coming????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blogs are so good. so relatable. I read the other dates..so good and yes I think atnight of those things too :)
    I yhink 2 weekends ago Tori and I fnally ageed to have girls day on our time and no crazy runningaround.. lazy pj day until whatever time lol. can't wait to read next one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I only ever post on FB about how AMAZING this blog is I decided I'd post here :)
    This post should have come with a warning label..lol..never should have read it at work as I now sit here with tears streaming down my face thinking of those same memories..the old days..when life was simple & my Dad was still around. You are an amazing writer Jo & really know how to capture a feeling or a moment in time. Just wanted you to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Da, you do such an amazing job writing these posts and I especially like this one about cousins. I know years from now all of us will remain close. I still can't believe my youngest cousin turned 8 yesterday. He is getting too old for me! I consider Mike, Kris, & Matt like my little siblings and i know no matter where life takes us we will always be close. I love you all and thank you for giving me three of the greatest "little" cousins in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the morning tears! Then just as my eyes were no longer blurry, I read Debbie's post and had to get the tissues again. Thanks girls! Jo, your kids may have less cousins but they were blessed with being able to grow up while living so close to 2 great cousins. Not many kids are that lucky.
    BTW, I'm also sad to know I missed out on all the sunday family/cousin dinners growing up. Because of the restaurant our visiting day was Tuesday so we only saw one family at a time. I do agree nobody's roast beef dinner tastes like Aunt Maureens. I'm transfering daddy's old videos to dvd and yesterday I watched Xmas 82, my newphew's 1st xmas and next year he turns 30. I just wanted to go back in time and hug everyone's younger self. Keep up the great writing. Love Nett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great comments! I truly appreciate that you all take the time to read my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete