Thursday, September 8, 2011

You can't stop time

As many of you also did this week, I sent my three kids off to school for a brand new year. This was an especially emotional time for me, as I sent two of them to new schools. My daughter started middle school, and my oldest son, high school. While I know that the schools are great, and I truly feel that they will both do well, I can't help but think about what this means for me. How I am old enough to have a child entering high school is beyond my comprehension, and a bit unsettling. I really feel that the countdown to college has begun. My happiest times are when my kids are all together, and we are doing family things. With the onset of high school, I realize those days are numbered, and family life as I know and cherish it, will inevitably come to an end.

Thankfully, I still have a second grader to keep me from feeling truly "over the hill," but I am hearing the ticking of the clock louder than ever, and I desperately want to make the most of the time we do still have together. Sometimes when I look at them, I begin to sob. They always roll their eyes at me, and say, "Why are you crying NOW, Mom?" I always tell them that things won't always be this way, with all of us together, and that makes me sad. They hug me, which makes me cry harder, and then go on their way. It is what they are supposed to do, and will continue to do for the rest of their lives. It will mean I have done my job well. Ironic, isn't it? I still don't have to like it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jo Ann. This has been on my mind all week! Even though it's only Kindergarten and nursery school, I see how quickly time is passing. I know this little kid stage is fleeting and I'll be in your shoes before I know it.

    Hope they, and you had a great first week. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, you have no idea how fast it will go! It is almost as if someone speeds up the clock when your kids start school. Enjoy every moment of their innocence-it is a precious time in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Ann, Life's journey is like reading a book, there are many chapters. As you and your kids grow older you go through these chapters. You will not forget the memories from the past but just think of the memories still to come. I know it is hard to think of the unknown chapters ahead but who is to say those chapters will not be even better than where you are now. As I prepare to send my first off to college next year I know it will be difficult but at the same time I can't wait (does that make any sense?)
    Time does seem to go by faster and faster every year that your children get older so remember to live now and enjoy every second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do try to enjoy them, even though it's hard when I'm tripping over toys and sporting equipment! I know that the past stages went quickly, and the ones that follow will also. I foresee the time when they won't need me so much, and I am trying to figure out what I want to do in my next chapter of life. College, huh? That's when you have to let go and trust you did your job well. New experiences for both child and parent! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete